Friday, November 30, 2012

Diagnosis in Detail

     Today: I am feeling pretty good health wise. I'm not perfect, not even close, but who is? I know pretty well how to deal with diabetes and all that, and I have a pump to help me.
    But let's flash back a year. Today last year, I went home from the hospital. For the first time, I had to apply all the stuff they taught me in the hospital. Which was hard. Probably harder than my diagnosis day. I'm going to take a couple minutes to share everything that happened around my diagnosis.

Late October through Mid-November
I was dealing with some serious fatigue, and I was tired all the time. Which honestly wasn't crazy- I have never in my life been one to get enough sleep. I was drinking more water, which concerned me.
I read something about a girl with diabetes, she was diagnosed after drinking a lot. I remember finishing a regular watter bottle (during nice weather) by 3rd period. I usually don't drink that much all day at school. I have my regular Dr.'s visits in November, and I had lost 6 lbs. The Dr. was worried, because I weighed 96 lbs then, at a height of 5ft5in. We forgot to mention the water I was drinking, but my mom pointed out it wasn't a ridiculous amount, and I dropped it. However, the weight loss convinced my doctor to order me some blood tests. I wasn't feeling much better, and the Thanksgiving before November, we got the blood work.


Thanksgiving Weekend
By thanksgiving, I wasn't feeling well. I had this funny taste in my mouth, and my tongue was dry. I actually had a little cold that week, so this got blamed on my cold. My mom had bought mini gatorades for the car ride to my aunt's house, which I finished in the first 10 minutes of the hour long drive. We reached my aunt's house, and I drank a regular watter bottle in 2 minutes, and then downed a diet A&W cream soda. I mostly slept on the couch all day, and I barely ate Thanksgiving Dinner. 
We went Black Friday shopping at 6am the next day, but I felt terrible. I remember standing in line at Hollister drinking a big ice tea. The whole weekend was really bad. Drink, pee, sleep, repeat.

November 28th
 I felt downright nasty. After getting dressed, my mom took me back to the doctor's office. Following a long wait, the Dr. finally came in. I kind of knew what was coming, but hearing, "She's diabetic." doesn't get much worse. We drove straight to the ER in our Children's Hospital, and I cried on the way, not sure what to think. We went inside,and they tested my blood sugar. 597. They weighed me. 83 lbs. They took me to a room where I got 2 IVs: insulin drip and fluids. That whole day was a blur... I do remember my doctor telling me to slow down on the ice chips.

November 29th
I woke up the next morning after not really sleeping. The really nice nurses explained everything, and I felt better. I was bored, but being in a regular room, rather than emergency, had its perks. Finally, we did a big learning session with the world's coolest diabetes educator. She was dx'd at the same age as me, and she was really sweet. I learned to test my bg. Learning everything wasn't fun, but surprisingly, it stuck with me. I finally got to eat again, and I had my first low that day-57 bfore dinner.

November 30
I was waiting all day to go home all day. It was all review and waiting for a Lantus dose, and all that fun stuff. Finally, I went home. I remember counting the carbs in the soup I ate for dinner. 35 carbs. I was hungry, but I waited 2 hours to eat, since it was my first day. I cried, but I knew it would get better.

And Now
I feel so different from a year ago. I've been through a lot, and so much has changed.It hasn't been easy, but I wouldn't change it for the world- All this has taught me so much. That's why I picked this song to put up. The feeling totally describes me-even if it's not about love in my case. listen and enjoy :)


 

Put your lips close to mine
As long as they don't touch
Out of focus, eye to eye
Till the gravity's too much
And ill do anything you say
If you say it with your hands
And i'd be smart to walk away
But you're quick sand

This slope is Treacherous
This path is reckless
This slope is Treacherous
And I I I like it

I can't decide if it's a choice
Getting swept away
I hear the sound of my own voice
Asking you to stay
And all we are is skin and bone trained to get along
Forever going with the flow but you're friction

This slope is Treacherous
This path is reckless
This slope is Treacherous
I I I like it

Two headlights shine through the sleepless night
And I will get you get you alone
Your name has echoed through my mind
And I just think you should think you should know
That nothing safe is worth the drive
And I will follow you follow you home, follow you follow you home

This hope is Treacherous
This day dream is dangerous
This hope is Treacherous
I I I , I I I, I I I

Two headlights shine through the sleepless night
And I will get you get you alone
Your name has echoed through my mind
And I just think you should think you should know
That nothing safe is worth the drive
And I will follow you follow you home
I'll follow you follow you home
I'll follow you follow you home
I'll follow you follow you home
This slope is Treacherous
I I I like it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I will read it :)
Word-verification is back on due to lots of annoying spam.